Recoil Escapement

For suggestions for future additions
John T
Old Timer

Recoil Escapement

Post by John T »

I would like to suggest one more item to add to the list. That is a Recoil Escapement.  The Recoil Escapement is, I believe, an American variation of the dead beat escapement.  The difference is that there is no lock and the escape wheel teeth are allowed to slide along the pallet face for a short distance after the actual "escape".  This is a much more forgiving escapement than the dead beat.  If you've ever hear the uneven beat of a cuckoo clock you'll hear what I mean, that unevenness is because a recoil escapement has been used.

Since the math of calculating the pallet angles is identical the conversion from dead beat to recoil should be "fairly" easy (can you can tell I'm not a programmer?)  The only real difference is in the length of the pallets.  The teeth of the escape wheel also "lean" away from the direction of rotation instead of "into" the rotation as they do in the dead beat.

You're probably a very long way from implementing new suggestions but I though you might put it on the list.  I can send you a write up from a 1906 book on the escapement if that would help.

John
1% inspiration 99% try, try again
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Recoil Escapement

Post by BobL »

John;

I know Art and I have discussed such variations for future designs, however right now the Gearotic Thoughts module is taking up most of Art's time in implementing it properly for all to enjoy and use. Your suggestion has been acknowledged and will be reviewed once again when we cross that path down the road as you mentioned. Thanks again for your feedback.

;)
Cheers
Bob
Gearotic Motion
Bob