Looking for Software to Plan Project

Software helpfull to Gear makers.
A Guy In Town
Old Timer

Looking for Software to Plan Project

Post by A Guy In Town »

Hi,

I found some software called "Linkage" which allows me to draw various things, link them together and then animate the contraption to see how it moves.  This is sort of what I seek, but I am looking for something with more umph!

I want to plan out a complex mechanical array of things, gears, chains, levers, fulcrums, etc., and design and animate it on the PC before I start cutting metal and other materials. 

Example: I need something that will allow me to create a gear, wrap it with a chain, drive a second gear that will move an arm attached to the side (think locomotive).  The arm would move something else, that would in turn affect another component.

I can DRAW all of this easily with my DesignEdge software, and get all of the measurements to create the skeletal frames, etc., but DesignEdge does not have the ability to animate the design.  Google Sketchup can do it ... sort of, by moving the mechanism (n) distance and taking another photo of the screen, and then the animation happens when you play them together, but that is VERY time consuming.

I would appreciate any help finding the software that will let me design this thing, and create the DXF files to cut the skeletal frames on my CNC plasma table, and plan and make the various components.  This will be a BIG project that wraps an entire 32'x60' workshop with a moving, mechanical DO NOTHING that is for the sole purpose of eye candy, and to attract people to my shop.

All help is appreciated!

ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Looking for Software to Plan Project

Post by ArtF »

Hi:

It sounds like you need a full animation cad program. SolidWorks can do such a thing, as can various
versions of high end CAD programs, but they dont tend to come cheap and take quite some time to learn.
You may be better off to find someone on a board somewhere that can generate the simulation on their
program using your drawings if you need it animated. VExx and Gearotic will only do fairly simple animations,
nothing to the level your describing, though I understand exactly what your thinking of doing.. had
though of it myself over time..:)

Art
A Guy In Town
Old Timer

Post by A Guy In Town »

Thanks, Art.

I have this CRAZY idea in my head, and lots of time, lots of tools and (almost) enough money to accomplish it now.

I have spent the entire day on this computer, looking at dozens of software offerings.  I have DesignSpark Mechanical, Google SketchUp, and a few others.  I am currently looking at ON SHAPE, which seems very good, but I won't know until I delve deeper into it.  A lot of the animation software focuses on games, with animated characters who fight battles.  I just want a visual and accurate representation of gears, levers, chains, belts, rods, actuators, etc.

This "ON SHAPE" program (cloud based and FREE!  ;D ) looks like the ticket. Since I am just an old retire guy with a crazy idea to make my workshop a tourist attraction, I really have no restrictions on just how elaborate this may become.  The building can be seen from the main highway, so some of the mechanisms may be quite LARGE.

I DO KNOW that I want it to be quiet.  I don't want a lot of clanking metal and noise.  No steel balls dropping onto cymbals or bouncing off of drums.  No wind chimes.  No bells....  My neighbors are a couple hundred yards away, but I still respect their right to enjoy the Kentucky countryside without some constant mechanical background noise.  The machine would have to move slowly, so I don't crush birds and squirrels in the mechanisms, and I would shut the machine off at night, of course.  I suppose it would make SOME noise simply by not being a close tolerance machine, but I believe I can quiet it down enough, using Teflon strips where the large gears mesh, and other tactics.  Some of the components would be made from sheets of HDU foam. 

I will create an online album with photos and videos if/when the project begins.

Joe

"FrankenBarn"

http://flic.kr/p/e8rHdv

A Guy In Town
Old Timer

Post by A Guy In Town »

I did purchase SolidWorks in 2012 for a LOT of money.  I just haven't had the time to learn the software, so I may have wasted my money.  :-[

I think I can pull off this project, without needing to learn SolidWorks.

Joe
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

I don't know if it's any help, but I found and bookmarked this free linkage design program some time ago

Kirk
A Guy In Town
Old Timer

Post by A Guy In Town »

Mooselake wrote: I don't know if it's any help, but I found and bookmarked this free linkage design program some time ago

Kirk
Hi Kirk,

Yes, thank you.  I did download that program, and it seemed as if it would work for me, but I fought it for a few days trying to understand how to work with the limited tools it provides.  I could create random mechanisms, but I saw no means of accurately laying out dimensions or planning a skeleton frame for gears, etc.  I have not given up on it.  I just need to find some good training videos or something, so I can understand it better.

Joe
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Joe:

Yes, its typically a tradeoff of accuracy vs ability for lower end simulations.
Having written some simulation code I can understand the problem, there are so
many tradeoffs in the math of such a thing its a hard thing to do right.
  You should be able to make such a thing slow enough to make it quiet,
or at least you'd think so. I would love to see any pictures as you go along,
it sounds like quite a project...

Art
A Guy In Town
Old Timer

Post by A Guy In Town »

I don't need a lot of pretty graphics, or lighting, or shading, etc.  I just need something that allows me to create a mechanical "art piece" that will function through one complete cycle without binding or kinking.  This LINKAGE program seems as if it is what I need, but I am fighting with it.  I cannot seem t get it to cooperate.

I can create a link with a rotating input and an anchor.  Okay ... so an arm moves around a center point like a clock hand.  I assume this represents the drive motor.  I can create a link with two connectors, and join one end to the far end of the first arm, and change its length. There are other things too, like a linear actuator, and a three connector link and a four connector link. 

I can also create GEARS, but I cannot seem to figure out how to incorporate them into the design.  If I want a link to attach to the gear off center so the gear can operate the arm within the constraints of the circumference of the gear, the whole thing locks up.  I cannot get two gears to work together at any ratio, or when connected by a chain or belt.

I can see that this program is useful, but their training videos SUCK!

Joe
A Guy In Town
Old Timer

Post by A Guy In Town »

I have been working with this software, and I believe I have figured it out!

Joe

http://youtu.be/8RkSkImQhJo
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Joe:

Yup, brilliant program, I have it as well.
Does a great job in what if type designing..

Art
BillM
Old Timer

Post by BillM »

Joe

I read your initial post a few days ago.  The first ideas that I came up with was to use some combination of gearotics,  Vexx, & the Augie vector processor.  I had posted a couple of models under the Mechs & Kinematics topic area that use the Augie Vector processor:
  "walking man"
  "Simulation of Denison double 3-arm gravity escapement" 

The above two simulations demonstrate some of the capabilities of the Augie vector processor.

After seeing your more recent post using the linkage program I decided that perhaps I should play with that program for awhile.  My interest is mainly simulations of mechanisms both to explore capabilities of design programs but also to document/simulate real mechanisms.

Bill Michael

David Morrow
Old Timer

Post by David Morrow »

For anyone who is interested in mechanical mechanisms, here is a link to a very large PDF book : Mechanisms and Mechanical Devices Sourcebook by Neil Sclater. It does show a copyright so I don't know what the legalities are of downloading this.

http://160592857366.free.fr/joe/ebooks/ ... CLATER.pdf

I also found a very old ( 1930 ) book called Ingenious Mechanisms by Franklin D. Jones which seems to be available from a number of sites. There have been some updates in 1936, 1951 and 1967. I haven't spent a lot of time comparing them but they appear to be updates, not additions to the original.
deraudrl
Old Timer

Post by deraudrl »

David Morrow wrote: For anyone who is interested in mechanical mechanisms, here is a link to a very large PDF book : Mechanisms and Mechanical Devices Sourcebook by Neil Sclater. It does show a copyright so I don't know what the legalities are of downloading this.

http://160592857366.free.fr/joe/ebooks/ ... CLATER.pdf

I also found a very old ( 1930 ) book called Ingenious Mechanisms by Franklin D. Jones which seems to be available from a number of sites. There have been some updates in 1936, 1951 and 1967. I haven't spent a lot of time comparing them but they appear to be updates, not additions to the original.
Possibly too elementary for this crowd, but I've had some fun with the stuff from this book:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=making+mecha ... IVVA4JR8MX
David Morrow
Old Timer

Post by David Morrow »

Thanks deraudrl, I've just reserved a copy from my local public library.