Information about latest Revision level of the software
and current Download Links.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

GT Release 2.2Dev

Post by ArtF »

Hi All:

A new version has been put online a few minutes ago. It includes a working CAM module which
will replace the standard one. Both will remain until the bugs are ironed out of the new module.
I encourage you to watch the video at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0E18t_TIZk

It explains how to use the new module. Please use some caution as we work out bugs and modify as
required. This is a very large update so it needs to be played with. I think youll find it much more powerful
that what your used to in GT. When engravable objects and CAD becomes available this module will be expanded
to grow into new needs as they occur. The new module is not yet in the new Doc.. which is in the release
in the help/.about tab..

Comments and questions are welcome in this thread. :)
Have fun.

Art

ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: GT Release 2.2Dev

Post by ArtF »

Hi All:

New version updated for rotating in Workbench with hotkeys.. ( Ctrl/Shift) keys.

Thx
Art
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi All:

New version 2.21 uploaded. It allows for import/export of tool tables, and properly converts between tool units types. ( One small bug, all tools must have the same feed unit type, such as units/min or units/sec etc.. In other words if your imperial tools are in inches/min, your metric tools must be in mm/min.  An installatioon cannot mix units/min and units/sec between tools..

Thx
Art
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi All:

Newer version just uploaded. In it, you can export toolbox tools to an English editable file or import such files.
If, when uploading , the system see's a tool name conflict, it will rename the tool so as not to overwrite any tools you have.
Install will not overwrite tool tables anymore. The program still uses an internal database for tools, but the import export allows
you to backup or import other peoples tools. ( If anyone builds a table with common tools, please post it if you feel like sharing
it with the world. :)

Thx
Art

Ken_Shea
Old Timer

Post by Ken_Shea »

Hi Art,
Downloaded and installed 2.21 (it shows 2.2) any way the latest after your post on uploading it.

It installed perfect and seemed to be doing fine as I was following you through your video, pausing and doing the same here on my PC with in GT.
Suddenly while adjusting I believe the travel speeds a very noticeable lag in mouse movement that continued during movement with subsequent program lock up.

Tried re-installing and again tried fully uninstalling/re-installing with no improvement, actually worse as the "ToolBox" cannot be entered into any longer and the program lock up fully.
When loading anew a popup indicating an improper shut down and asking to reset to defaults or not, both gave same effect upon attempting to enter the "ToolBox".

Wish I could offer more information.

Windows 7 home Pro 64bit

OK, new info, as I was typing the program became operational so apparently there is some function taking a lot of processor time. Made additional tool parameter changes and hit "Apply" and this mouse movement lag starts over again. Took about 90 seconds to process before you can continue.

Ken

ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Ken:

Thanks, Ill look into why that might be.. Sounds like Im bogging down your OpenGL or something .. does the lag
go away when you close the toolbox? It may be you have set a length of tool sooo long that its taking forever to try to render it.. Im
thinking thats likely so Ill limit that in tomorrows release.
  Thanks for your patience, this will take a few days to fix up as people find the limitations. In your case, look to the tool and see if its unreasonably long
in its length. Each step of the length is subdivided so its probably trying to grow a tool thats enourmous..

Art
Ken_Shea
Old Timer

Post by Ken_Shea »

Art,
It locks up the moment you attempt to enter the "Tool Box"

You may be on to something with the tool length sooo long, don't know about that so much but the defaults seem to be very large, like a 2" end mill, wonder if it's something in the mm/imp conversion.

No problem on the wait!

Thanks
Ken
Ken_Shea
Old Timer

Post by Ken_Shea »

Art,
That was it, flute length and I can't tell you if it was a change I made or something in the conversion calculation or lack of.

Good news is that should help you narrow down the culprit even if the culprit was me :)

Ken

John S
Old Timer

Post by John S »

Art,
Thanks,
I'll put up with the lag if I can grow a longer tool.  ;D
John S.
Nottingham, England
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

lol... I may not be able to handle that for you.. thats for rocket scientists...

Art
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi All:

Version 2.23 is now online with corrections to the tool import and export. ( Tools now export as text files you can edit, you can also import them. These are an IO type of file,
the program maintains its own database format, but allows you to export a tool library as backup, or import one. If duplicates are found in naming , then the names are updated
with a copy number. So its always safe to import any tool table.

Taped and VBit tools are now profiling according to their class.. so be carefull of using tapers as the profiling will slowly move away from profile walls as the bit
moves deeper. This may sound wrong or seem wrong. My line of thought is that a vbit, is normally always under load on both tool flanks, but by shifting the path
to account for its taper on each pass , its load is shifted to a better position. It may be easier to handle the load on deeper profiles... but then I could be wrong,
it just seemed more elegant a solution which usually tells me its better.. :), I believe the load is actually identical per pass, but this should allow deeper total cuts.

I include a photo to show what I mean , the picture shows 3 passes with a VBit.. the old way and the new one..

Anyway, things are getting more stable, the toolbox should be easier on you CPU load as I reduced the resolution of the tools..

Art

Attachments
vbitpath.png
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

Not very important, but the current development link on the download page says 2.1xx.

Kirk
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

thx.. fixed..
John S
Old Timer

Post by John S »

Art,
Had a play and very nice, I like the way it's going.
Two questions:-

No matter how many times I watched the video, even used matchsticks under the eyelids to stop the blinking, how did you get from running the post to getting the code in notepad on screen ?

Second question, in the example you used a gear generated in GT will it be possible to bring a dxf in of a part not produced in GT but use GT's post to produce code ? Or is that for the CAD section later ?

PS Working on the Rocket Scientist but its an uphill struggle.  ;)
John S.
Nottingham, England
Wod
Old Timer

Post by Wod »

Art,
    I use Gearotic on a number of different machines, so I set my workbench Zero to the center of the grid. Is there an easy way to place a gear at 0,0 or do I just have to drag it around carefully and watch the numbers on the coordinates boxes?
Thanks,
Wiley