Version 2.266 online

Information about latest Revision level of the software
and current Download Links.
John T
Old Timer

Re: Version 2.266 online

Post by John T »

Hi Art,
I was only simulating one gear and with the proper (my mistake) settings made on the tool/project screens the simulation works as advertised.

John
1% inspiration 99% try, try again
John T
Old Timer

Post by John T »

Hi Art,
On the old gearotic I could specify the pallet thichness as different than the escape wheel.  Has that feature gone, Have I forgotten where or is it coming later?

John
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi John:

It will appear in future in a cad modules ability to edit any object for pretty much any part .. or at least thats the plan.
With the workbenchs ability to cut to any thickness it wasnt a high priority for development..though it is on my list to
add that. Ill bump it  notch or two as a visually desirable option.

Art
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

Hi Art!

I don't know how you feel about open source libraries (and the licensing mess they can get into), but take a look at Anders Wallin's opencamlib if you haven't already.

Kirk
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Kirk:

I do tend to stay away from open libraries, as you say the licenseing becomes a mess but more importantly the structure of a
cad program tends to be such that code written for one structural design is good only as a tutorial on how to do something in another
stuctural design. It is interesting reading though on variosu techniques one can use.. I havent chosen one particular way as yet, but I have
a lot of paper s with various designs. Thx for the addional material. :)

Art
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi All:  Quick poll type question...

Since doing the simulator hurt my head, Im adding some code for personal usage this past week to unwind. Im curious
as to if anyone else would find the output usefull. Does anyone ever find they'd like to have a stl sliced and saved
as DXF's?
  I really dont want ( at this point) to make a whole lot of 3d printer output, but I do have need for slicing so Ive
added a slicer to Gearotic, I dont always turn on such things for the general user, so I was curious if having the ability
to slice 3d objects ( gears as well as any other stl's has any value for you. If so I can leave it turned on in future releases.
It basically slices an object in any orientation to any number of slices and will then save each slice as a dxf ( or put out
Gcode for a laser to do 3d printing in paper. ). I suppose at the least it allows one to have 3d slices of bevel gears for further
processing by other cam systems.
Thx
Art
John S
Old Timer

Post by John S »

Yes for definite.
One use is to take an stl to get the sliced dxf's to cut on a laser to then get say a casting pattern.
I know you can STL a pattern but your 3D printer might not be big enough for the part or you need to modify one of the dxf's to get better representation on the mould.

Will it have the ability to import a foreign STL, then slice it or just a Gearotic grown STL ?
John S.
Nottingham, England
Ken_Shea
Old Timer

Post by Ken_Shea »

Hi Art,
No personal need at this point in time but down the road is likely, what about adding it as a selection at install time like is done with the 32bit run time.

Ken
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BobL »

Yes

;)
Gearotic Motion
Bob
John T
Old Timer

Post by John T »

Hi Art,
Since I only work with simple gears for clocks and such - I don't use slicing - but there are people who do more complex stuff then me.

John
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi John:

It works with Any STL , binary or ascii. Sounds liek Ill include it for general output.  So I guess Ill
add a few more controls so its more usefull. You'll probably see it soon.

Thx
Art
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Ken:

No real need for a seection, Gearotic has several toys that only enable when I run it on my system, I just set compiler switches to enable things.
So Ill turn this one on in the compile once I add a few widgets,,,

Art
Ya-Nvr-No
Old Timer

Post by Ya-Nvr-No »

Of course I would like it, but I'm just a lover of Tools, cause Ya-Nvr-No when that just might be the thing I need to get some job done or get me closer to my wild desire. Play away ;) and keep having Fun. ;D
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

Slic3r has a output to svg option, so you can slice models and cut them out of paper, never used it.  I'm sure your dxf output will be a lot nicer.

Kirk
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Kirk:

DXF is why I wanted it, for Laser cutting out of paper.. but Ill also put out Gcode just for that purpose as well..
The Gcode may benifit on ly me or a few, but the DXF's may be very usefull. Its working well, so it will definitely be
added to the program sooner or later..

Art