Version 3.0

Information about latest Revision level of the software
and current Download Links.
drezal
Old Timer

Re: Version 3.0

Post by drezal »

ArtF wrote: Hi :

EPS and SVG output will be in an upcoming version...

Art
SWEET!  Looking forward to having SVG output.  Many, many thanks, Art!

Dan
drezal
Old Timer

Re: Version 3.0 - This is too much fun

Post by drezal »

Rocket wrote:
drezal wrote: Or a balanced, tree-shaped flourish.

http://postimg.org/image/k9sj3wmv7/

Dan
What numbers did you use for input to create the tree?
Hi Rocket,
I'm not sure, actually.  I was playing around with putting in negative numbers in the motif field.  I also put in some random equations just to see what would happen.  And then I tinkered around with the circle mode option.  I'm trying to recreate it now and not having much luck. 

Dan
drezal
Old Timer

Post by drezal »

BobL wrote: I hear ya, Just trying to catch up with tutorials and www.gear2motion.com

Cheers
Bob
gear2motion is looking great, Bob. A quick read of a few pages and I discovered many things I didn't know about Gearotic.  I'll be checking back regularly. 

Dan
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

BobL wrote: I hear ya, Just trying to catch up with tutorials and www.gear2motion.com
Might just be me (Firefox 49.0.1) but the right and left edges of the page on gear2motion.com are cut off.  Or is that just a teaser for things to come?  Like those brass pins in the pictures...

Kirk
John T
Old Timer

Post by John T »

Hi Art,
I've managed to cut my first florish and I'm really pleased, its a great addition to my box of tricks.

This florish is 4 inches by 3 inches and is cut 0.17 inches deep in MDF with a 1/32 inch end mill.  The file is 62,305 lines of Gcode.  The Gcode was generated with Aspire (glorified vCarve program).

I do have one question and that is about scale.  The original dxf as produced by the wizard is really big and while I could scale it down to 4" by 3" quite easily,  I was wondering if there was a set up to have it generated to a smaller scale.  I would probably lose some definition right?

John
Attachments

[The extension pdf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

1% inspiration 99% try, try again
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

John:

Looks great. :)

On scale, you dont actually lose detail on any scaling, the dxf is good to several decimal places so it
handles scale well.  When EPS is out perhaps the scaling will be better as the eps format has a bit better
control I think.. so far anyway.. Im still coding on the new outputs..

Art
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

I ran my smiling moose self portrait through the photo flourish generator, dinked around with it a bit, and created my first flourish.

Wonder if it can be massaged a bit more and turned into an stl file?   Either that, or install the new parts into the laser and engrave it instead.

Kirk
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Kirk:

Havent decided yet how to make it an stl, I have some experiments to run on some sort of auto 3d gradient fill
to make it 3d.. ot I could make it tubular.. future work I think, I obsessed on the flourishes too long as it is. :)

You can actually draw exclusion zones and such in the flourish guide box, Ill show that in the next video.. well,
the one after the next as Im finishing up a video on the bat to answer all the questions I keep getting on it. :)

Art

Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

Not a big deal, but V(ish) shaped flourishes, both up for printing directly, and down for (the equivalent of) engraving, would be cool too if you ever get back to them.  Until then there's openSCAD extrusions.  Mrs. Moose is complaining the project list is too long and I'm not getting enough done for her anyway.

Kirk

Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

Completely coincidentally, one of our unofficial Printrbot forum members, another programmer, has been working on a project to convert hand drawn objects to 3D stl files.  He ran my moose flourish through his code, with some trouble since the image I saved was too low a resolution.  I did another one (unfortunately I didn't record or remember the first one's settings) at higher resolution and also included the dxf file.  You can see the results in the link.  There's some interesting interpretations of the flourish in the topic, although it still looks like a moose to me.

Kirk
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Very Nice,your friends algorithms sweep is a great use for that type of vector.
May be a nice future feature , the ability to extrude to stl.. Im considering
it for inclusion, in reality the code is all there to allow for stl from vector.

Art
John T
Old Timer

Post by John T »

Hi Art
Pretty fancy clock faces are now easy to create - many thanks.

John
Attachments
GrandFatherClockface.jpg
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BobL »

Looks good John..
Gearotic Motion
Bob
Dan Mauch
Old Timer

Re: Version 3.0 Florish problem

Post by Dan Mauch »

I d/led the latest version of V3.0 and installed it with no problem. I watched the video a couple times and then ran V3. I had no problem until I got to testing the florish module. The florish modules loads OK and I create box around the grid but when I clicked on florish again I kept getting a error messages that florish layer not found. Simply closing the program and reopening didn't work. But today I tried it again and now it works. What I think happened is that after rebooting something got fixed by rebooting.  Thought I'd pass this on
Dan Mauch
John T
Old Timer

Post by John T »

Hi Dan,
If you do two boxes one will be the main and the other flourishes 
So Just create one box on top of the other.

John n