Information about latest Revision level of the software
and current Download Links.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Version 3.0

Post by ArtF »

Hi All:

Version 3.0 is online, and a video to show any changes since the spring. Any bugs I have discussed as
being fixed , this version should correct as well.

Have fun, welcome back from summer..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FPbTxw ... e=youtu.be

Art
Mooselake
Old Timer

Re: Version 3.0

Post by Mooselake »

I installed 3.0 and randomly dinked around a bit.  Cage gear simulation with 4 circle1 spokes is somewhat weird.  The spokes in the wheel jump around quite a bit, and if the wheel and pinion both have an even number of spokes the teeth don't mesh.

I haven't looked at the video yet, which is  undoubtedly why I couldn't get florishes to work.

The copyright date is still 2013, but they tell me I'm behind the times.

Looking forwards to another season of amazing things!

Kirk

I should add that this is W10 64b, latest insider preview, on an i5-5200u laptop with the latest intel drivers for the chip's build-in graphics.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Kirk:

>>Cage gear simulatio n with 4 circle1 spokes is somewhat weird.  The spokes in the wheel jump around quite a bit, and if the wheel and pinion both have an even number of spokes the teeth don't mesh.

Drop a project file here for me will you if you get a chance, Ill see why the jumping...

Art
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

No project, I was just using simulation on the Tools tab.

I've attached a screenshot.  Looks like I have rhythmic geneva checked, but no geneva.  Hmm...

Kirk
Attachments
Screenshot (1).png
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Kirk:

My fault, I should remove at least one tooth in a rythmic geneva. It faisl if it has all its teeth
as it isnt rythmic anymore. Click on any tooth on the pinion to remove it and the sim will work
properly..

Art
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

I hadn't really intended to make a rhythmic geneva, but since I was just playing around trying random stuff...

Clicking on a tooth removes all the other teeth, but in the simulation the tooth meshes into the center of the pin, rather than the space between them.  Both the cage creation screen, and the project screen, have the same issue.

I have a new 3D printer coming, a Thingybot Delta.  Perhaps a rhythmic geneva would be a good test.  Never made one before.  Wonder if the pins show up in the stl?  Update:  Yep, you select all of them and combine into a single object.  Cool, gives the choice of cutting a lot of pins from a different material or printing the whole thing in one shot.  Maybe I'll unjam the extruder in the Printrbot (lesson, chuck the cheap cr*ppy filament in the trash and order up good stuff) and see what happens.

Kirk
marklazarz
Old Timer

Post by marklazarz »

Looks like the escapement simulations work now!  Thanks!
drezal
Old Timer

Post by drezal »

Sweet features added!  Need to find some time to play with it.  You know, the day job sure gets in the way of my hobbies.

Dan
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

I drilled the baked in crud from the now discarded mystery brand cheap filament and resurrected the Printrbot, and made a two tooth rhythmic geneva.  The pinion turned out fine.  I selected all the pins and the cage wheel and created a combined stl object.  No joy, all but one of the pin locations were created as holes, then the upper half of the pins dropped on the holes with no overlap - they were the same diameter as the holes.  Just noticed when removing it that one pin was part of the wheel, but only one.  Printed it for grins, anyway.  Have a new spool of HH3DP gray to replace the mystery brand "silver", so this was a fair test of it.  Good stuff.

In a perfect printer world the pins would have dropped into the holes, but they did print on top, with essentially no overlap, some of the plastic from part of the pin dropped into the hole and left a gap, and the pins wiggled a bit as the top surface was printed.  Everything was sized properly, the pinion fit into the wheel when carefully tested, but any load will shear off the pins.  Pic attached.

I expected the pins would have started at the base of the wheel and become one with it, then projected out of the top, as if the separate objects were merged before the stl was created.

Kirk

Attachments
CageWheelBottom.jpg
CageWheelWIthFunnyPins.jpg
Rocket
Old Timer

Post by Rocket »

Art,

Great job...you are amazing....

Okay........would it be possible to turn a "flourish" into a spoke?

We could create some very fancy wheels like that...........

Your opinion,

Richard
Ya-Nvr-No
Old Timer

Post by Ya-Nvr-No »

like that?
created a real narrow rectangle
fertilizer of 1 and motif of 1111111111111111's
did have to cut out a couple extra unneeded circles that got created.
Then just copied, pasted & rotated three more to see the effect
you can export one as a DXF then it can be used in gearotic as a spoke with some refinement of course.
Attachments
spoke.JPG
Rocket
Old Timer

Post by Rocket »

Thanks...

I thought minimum fertilizer number was 3?

R
Ya-Nvr-No
Old Timer

Post by Ya-Nvr-No »

::), but YaNvrNo unless ya try, so it was a surprise to me too.

I tried making it a spoke by first converting it to a polyline in autocad then center, scale and stretch to suit.
placed the resaved dxf in the spoke folder but found a few issues when used as a spoke. Pretty cool idea just needs a little attention to get a few things worked out. Hopefully we can get an option to save Vector/DXF as spoke. That's just how the development process works. Art makes some great tools and we find ways to push it, and it seems to inspire others to create things we never knew it could do. That's why coding is fun to learn, it opens possibilities.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Kirk:

Hmm, Ill take a look at the stl for cage, I should be able to make the pin join in with the wheel...

et al:

I like the concept of a vector to spoke or vector to indicator button.. Ill look into it. :)

Art
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

Thanks, Art!

That picture makes the print look worse than it really is (except for the pins, a couple of which have already fallen off), although the temp and filament size needs to be tweaked for this new spool of plastic.

Could it be that the pins (except for the one that joined up) are too short and didn't include the gear thickness?  Brass rod would make much cooler pins, but I need a better rod cutting device in that case, not too good with the short stuff.

Kirk