Information about latest Revision level of the software
and current Download Links.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Release Aug 24th 3.05

Post by ArtF »

Hi All:

Version 3.05 of gearotic is in the development version and the msi installer. It adds a box
to enter a snap angle in the options to allow better rotational placement during rolling
a gear onto another. The default is to stop on 22.5 degree increments.

Thanks
Art
MBrez
Old Timer

Re: Release Aug 24th 3.05

Post by MBrez »

Thank you Art!!  I got an idea that can only be described with your beautiful software and I've been away from it too long.  I look forward to sharing with you all.

Cheers,
Mark Brzeszkiewicz
Campgems
Old Timer

Post by Campgems »

Art, I am an inexperienced user so this issue is probably me, so I need a kick in the right direction. 

Two problems happened today.  I'm using a 64 bit Win7 Pro on an older Intel Core7 machine. 16gb memory. All updates current as of today. Gearotic shows Version 3.030

1. Trying to create a couple drawings for a pair  WT pulleys, and before I could get the second one inputted, Gearotic quit responding.  Had to go to task manager and force it to shut down.  Second try was the same as the first.

2. Decided it might be good to update to the latest version so I tried to download both the stable and development versions and I get the same warning.
Gearoticsetup2.EXE is unsafe to download and was blocked by Smart Screen Filter.
Or Gearoticsetup.EXE Etc, depending on which I tried to download.  At least two trys on each.

Looking a bit deeper, this appears to be a Microsoft warning, but I've never seen it before. 

Any guidance is welcome. 

Don

ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Don:

Gearotic uses a few self-unpacking files, and lately some windows systems are every
insistant that they dont wish to install it. Try the .msi installer, its designed to bypass
that issue by showing in moredetail to the system that gearotic is safe.
  On many systems the name being too similar to "erotic" makes the browser stop
an install. The MSI usually fixes that as well.

Gearotic is writen on a win7 system, and I havent see too many systems other
than Win10 fail , but even Win7 can get picky claiming virus problems. You can
turn off virus testing for the installation , that works on may systems as well.
I recommend the development download generally.

Now, as to its stopping during a run, I havent had any issues there as yet. Is
it possible its a graphics driver issue? Its the common reason for lockup in apps
such as Gearotic.

Let me know how you make out, Ill dwell on any other reason that may cause it for you.
See if the .msi will install and perhaps that will cure the issue.

Art
Campgems
Old Timer

Post by Campgems »

Art, the SmartScreenFilter in Internet explorer was preventing the download.  I turned the filter off and it downloaded but threw up a warning which I ignored. After installing it, windows threw up another warning that it couldn't determine the source. I ignored that one, and it is up and running. 

Where my previous version locked up was adding the second pulley.  That doesn't seem to be an issue now.  So things look good for now.  Still a steep learning curve but that's my problem.

Thanks for the quick response.

For reference, Windows 7 Professional Service pack 1 64 bit, with all updates as of Wed
                      IE 11.0.75
Just in case someone else runs into this snag. 

Thanks again
Don
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Thanks Don

I appreciate the update.

Art
Dan Mauch
Old Timer

Post by Dan Mauch »

I ran into the same problem yesterday when I d/led the latest stable version on my I-5 win7 ultimate 32 bit but simply ignored the warnings and it loaded fine.

Dan

Campgems wrote: Art, the SmartScreenFilter in Internet explorer was preventing the download.  I turned the filter off and it downloaded but threw up a warning which I ignored. After installing it, windows threw up another warning that it couldn't determine the source. I ignored that one, and it is up and running. 

Where my previous version locked up was adding the second pulley.  That doesn't seem to be an issue now.  So things look good for now.  Still a steep learning curve but that's my problem.

Thanks for the quick response.

For reference, Windows 7 Professional Service pack 1 64 bit, with all updates as of Wed
                      IE 11.0.75
Just in case someone else runs into this snag. 

Thanks again
Don
Campgems
Old Timer

Post by Campgems »

Art, the display lock up hit again.  I know what the source of the problem is, but not the cause.

First my setup.  I have a two screen Nvida GeForce GT 430 display card.  #1 monitor is an older Samsung Syncmaster 19" set to 1280x1024 resolution.  #2 monitor is an older Dell 190fp set to the same resolution. 

I jumped through the hoops yesterday of getting the latest and greatest Nvida updates.  Started up Gearotic and the display was on #2 monitor.  I worked with it most of the day today, and had no issues.  I moved Gearotic over the #1 and a simulation that was running continued for about 10 seconds then locked up.  I grabbed the screen and dragged it over to #2 and it jumped to life, not where it locked up, but where it should have been after the delay.  Dragged it back to #1 and shortly another lock up.  Its obvious it has something to do with the Samsung monitor.  On one lockup, the bottom of the mill on the simulation was froze, but the top part was still doing the dance.  Really weird.

Curiosity want's me to bring in a display from my garage were my hobby shop is and do some more testing.  I've got a stable setup, if I use the Dell  (#2) so I'll pass on further experiments for now.   

One other thing I just tied to the #1, when I scanned up the upper part of this post to look for spelling errors, I had strikeout lines through most of the screen until I went back to the bottom and the back to the top.  Probably the same issue. 

Don
Campgems
Old Timer

Post by Campgems »

Art, I forgot to include this.  The strike out has been bugging me for a few weeks now.  Not just in this forum but others also.  Time to hit Goodwill store and pickup a replacement monitor I think.  Or do some cable swaps and see if it may be the adaptor card.  Girrrrrr

Don

ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Don:

It wont be the monitor. It reacts only to a video signal and is incapable of locking up the
way you describe. ITs the display card itself I suspect. Gearotic uses OpenGL a lot, and
its using an implementation thats using calls that should work on almost all display
adapters, but it can be memory hungry in simulation.
  I suspect your better off looking for a more recent display adapter..  A G430 is starting to get long in the
tooth and it may be windows core is getting a bit beyond it.

Art
n2xd
Old Timer

Post by n2xd »

I have a noob question. Where do I go to get the latest update? Sorry for such a basic question.

John
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi:

On the website www.gearotic.com , use the downloads tab.

There is the files for release version,development and an .msi file
in case of systems that dont like the other installers.

Art
Campgems
Old Timer

Post by Campgems »

It the card.  The bug follows the mix of DVI port and Primary monitor, not the monitor, after an afternoon of swapping cables and setups.  Both monitors work OK on the VGA port and either one being primary. Both hang up on the DVI port and being primary.

Sorry for the false alarm.

Don
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi All:

Just a bug note in Auggie. There is a flag that triggers exact stop which is being set on load
of some gcode files. This can cause the system to run only in exact stop mode. Pressing
Rewind after load fixes the problem. I will update the code on next release.

The problem can be seen to happen if you have a lookahead ( mine is set to 100 for example)
and the queue stubbornly stays at 1. It should show the amount of queued up lines.. This of
course makes a huge difference in speed. Pressing rewind should fix the load and allow
proper CV operation at high speed.

Thx
Art