Information about latest Revision level of the software
and current Download Links.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

New Release - Alpha test of Bolts module

Post by ArtF »

Hi All:

I have added a video showing how to alpha test the new bolts module in development.
Should anyone wish to test it, all you need to do is enter

http://gearotic.com/NutsAndBolts.zip

into your browser. It should download a zip file, place it on the desktop, unzip it and
run the program directly from inside that folder. Its Ticker.exe , it will not affect your
registry or system in any way and you may delete the folder after the test unless you
wish to keep making bolts with the alpha, it is semi functional.

Id appreciate any failure or success reports, here or by email to me at support@gearotic.com

Thx
Art

BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New Release - Alpha test of Bolts module

Post by BobL »

Thanks Art,

Loads fine here, this it is going to be an interesting module.

Cheers ;)
Gearotic Motion
Bob
tweakie
Old Timer

Post by tweakie »

Amazing !

Tweakie.
Ya-Nvr-No
Old Timer

Post by Ya-Nvr-No »

win 7  ;)
Attachments
xinput1_4.JPG
Richard Cullin
Old Timer

Post by Richard Cullin »

no go win10 32  hp laptop

works ok on w10 64  desktop
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Last edited by Richard Cullin on Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Wow, I didnt even think Win10 32 bit existed.

Thx, I appreciate the feedback, it is matching with my expectations. I used Win10 - 64 bit for this
program, though later I will attempt to make the base more compatible with Win7-64 bit as well.

I dont think I can make it work on Win32 systems, yet anyway..

Art

Wod
Old Timer

Post by Wod »

Runs fine on Win 10 64 bit. About 58.75 frames/second.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Seems to be that the framework runs fine on 64 bit Win10 systems. I may be able to run in Win7-64 bit if
I jigger some compilation settings. Thanks for the results. Ill continue development and release a beta
when its ready.

Thx
Art
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

ArtF wrote: Wow, I didnt even think Win10 32 bit existed. 
It's still used on a lot of small memory devices.  I have an HP Stream 7 tablet (don't judge...) that was a few buck extra deal with a laptop back when the i5-5200U was current.  I also updated an Acer netbook to W10, and probably some other devices in the mooselab have 32b W10.  The HP is good for some small games (takes a day or so to download and install windows updates), the netbook is the photo backup when traveling light with a superzoom camera of the pre wiffy vintage, it's been all over eastern europe.  Nothing I'd want to run real software including gearotic on, but 32b is still out there.  Big pain to go from 32 to 64, at least the last time I tried, needs a wipe and reinstall rather than inplace update.

Iirc there was (maybe still is) a free to use W10 for devices with less than 2GB (guess I'm old, remember when anything over 256MB would break W98.  Heck, I remember running around 32 serial terminals on a PS/2 with Pick in 1MB and it being pretty snappy.  Bought add-on software to go to 8MB, 7 for disk caching,  in a PCB house shop floor system).  Dr. Giggle found a reference that you need 32b for 2 to 4GB with the 1GB (3 to 4 is ignored iirc), 64 officially takes over 4GB.

For whatever that's worth.

Inquiring minds want to know if the new bolts module does /ducks/ whitworth :) ?  Too busy to try it for a few more weeks, last minute rush before the southern migration, building shop cabinets and demonstrating that it's a skill that needs to be improved.

Kirk
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Interesting. Wasnt aware.

IT does do british whitworth , but not sure what Ducks is... :)

Art
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

Must have missed your reply in the annual southward migration.  /ducks/ means ducking before somebody starts throwing stuff at me for weird questions :)  Although there could be a special whitworth thread for duck boats...

I know I'm better at planning than execution but I'm hoping to get started on my CNC 4th axis project (looking at adapting an MPCNC to X, Z, and rotary "real soon now" (want something that will work with Bill Oombs ornamental turning software) and trying to find a 1-8 threaded spindle with an MT2 inside taper so I can use my existing chucks and accessories.  That seems to be harder than it should.  Curiously speculating if I could 3D print one from gearotic (not expecting a lot of load or speed) and add the taper with an editor, or if it would be sufficiently interesting to add it to Nutz and Boltz.  Might be too big an ask, particularly since there's a whole lotta tapers out there and some have multiple angles, but thought I'd bring it up.

Kirk

ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Might be possible, I did leave a hook  in there for tapers...

I expect to release in a week or two, we can give it some thought then..
Ive added a "shafting" module for doing longer shafts which can be plugged
together for making longer threads..

Art
Michael Dixon
Old Timer

Post by Michael Dixon »

Loaded fine, able to produce a hex head bolt, all other options did not produce any acceptable bolts, Socket head was missing and only 1/2 of bolt body showing.

Oops!! Just watched Video, so now I know, the program is running fine. Looks like it will be a nice addition to the tool box.

Frame rate was about 60. The stl file was perfect, and i was able to open the model in several programs
Going to 3d print the bolt and nut and then check for fit.
Last edited by Michael Dixon on Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMeyers
Old Timer

Bolts module

Post by BMeyers »

Been using the bolts module (msi downloaded as recently as Friday, February 12th).  Thanks.
One configuration I've tried consistently (at least 3x) gets stuck at 33.33% ... please see screenshot png attached.

Attachments
Screenshot 2021-02-14 064145.png
Screenshot 2021-02-14 064145.png
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Thanks for the note, it appears the spherical nut is too dense. I will fix
in next update.

Art
]