Re: Sample HiRes STL output file

Post by Ken_Shea »

Art,
That file loaded perfectly but cam in at almost 1700mm in diameter  :D

ftkalcevic
Old Timer

Post by ftkalcevic »

Slic3r liked it although I had to flip it in an external program.  No warnings.

This took 2 hours to print.  Scaled to 50%.  Those peaks are a bit of a mess.  Now I just need an extruder that dispenses white chocolate!

Attachments
helicalbevel.jpg
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Wow, not bad. ( Ken: sounds like it expected inches but got mm's? )

One of the things about stl's is they arent metric or imperial, but simply numbers. Many go from
-1 to +1 and you scale to suit..gears woudlnt work well that way, so I put them out in mm's as a size
as printer people tell me almost all printing software is in metric primarily. Prcoessing software cares
not at all and is simply in units..

Now those peaks will get taken care of. I figured out last night my scaling may be off on the teeth,
I have to look into ensureing the proper cone angles are being adopted, the teeth on my sample
look too high in the inside ring to me.. I'll be checking it today. Its a rather extreme gear, but wrong I
supect.. Ill let you know how that turns out.

But I'm gratified to know it printed..thank you for the photo. :)

Art
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

John:

Im thinking my scaling routine may not be scaleing the tooth heigth properly over the cone length, those tips look a bit sharp.
Im mullingover a correction. :)

Art
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

John:

Yes, my math was screwy. :)

Ive deleted that helical bevel, its teeth were way too tall in the cone. Here is a better example of a helical bevel with proper tooth scaleing.

For those with bevel interest, take note that there are a few ways of generating bevels. A few differing "standards". Some , for example, some say the tooth
form of a bevel should basically be the spur gear outline when looked at from the outside face, the teeth should then twist and scale so everything terminates
at the imaginary cone apex. Other standards call for the center of the gear to be the spur gear tooth and the tooth scales outward to the outter face, and inwards to the
cone apex. ( This means a pinion of less facewidth would mesh in the respective center of the opposing wheel with empty teeth on each side. Ive opted for the original spec which
forces all bevels to mesh at the outside edge. So if a pinion of facewith 5 is meshed to a wheel of facewidth 10, the wheel and pinion woudl mesh from back edge
to center of wheel leaving the inside 5mm unused. ( If thats understandable.:-) )

Here is a sample of a much better helical bevel and should be like most bevels you could purchase. In theory this bevel should mesh with any
OEM bevel of the same angle and module. It properly scales the teeth in respect to addendum and dedendum unlike the previous sample that made sharp
peaks on the top edge.

Thx
Art
Attachments
helbev.jpg
helicalbevel.zip
(4.16 MiB) Downloaded 277 times
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Guys:

Just an update..

Just got notified my 3d printer will be shipped on Monday. ( Finally), so by next weekend I should be able to show some photo's of how the new stl's print.
Im getting closer to an alpha release of Gearotic Thoughts, which at first will be usefull primarily for 3d printer users, but will grow to eventually add more
functions and a better GUI to the general user of GM.

Thx
Art
ftkalcevic
Old Timer

Post by ftkalcevic »

Which printer are you getting?
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

The UP! Mini. Its a small unit, does 5x5x5" prints. After reviewing the software the various ones used, the prices and technology in them , I
decided it was the best one to use to get experience on. I still intend to build my own, but figured the UP was a good unit for perhaps printing
gears to use in a larger printer, and to show me what problems are typical, what quality, and what kind of capabilities woudl be helpful for that
modality. It came down to the DeltaBot or the Up! , and I more or less tossed a coin on it, they both impressed me in the reviews.

Ill let you know how it turns out. It will likely be seen in more than 1 video on the STL's when we get to that spot.. :)

Art