and current Download Links.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

New Version 1.18

Post by ArtF »

Hi All:

Im back from vacation. :)

Version 1.18 is online, it has included Roots Blowers in the noncircular tabs.

This version also incorporates a few general fixes from before I left for the sun.

A video is online at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIui7lSv ... e=youtu.be

Have fun,
Art
Ya-Nvr-No
Old Timer

Re: New Version 1.18

Post by Ya-Nvr-No »

now if you can put a 60 degree helix in the lobes you can can compete with the first Eaton supercharger  :D
though the lobe shape was a little different due to weight and boost.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

hmmm.wouldnt a helix on the lobe make them leak..?... Ill have to think about that one..

Art
Jerrywi
Old Timer

Post by Jerrywi »

WOW!!!
Love the NEW opening screen Page Art.

ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Answers the question of if anyone noticed... lol

Art
dansfoundry
Old Timer

Post by dansfoundry »

I down loaded and installed the latest version and my problem of not being able to get beyond the splash has changed now it shows the splash and then it disappears with out any messages, it is just gone????  Dan
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

What about an option for a rectangular (conventional metal) or semicircular (round 3D printer filament) seal recess on the apex?  Will GT's plating include housings for roots blowers?  It'd need a clearance option for the seal.

Do that and a future improvement could be a Wankel rotor and housing...

Kirk
ArtF wrote: hmmm.wouldnt a helix on the lobe make them leak..?... Ill have to think about that one..

Art
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Kirk:

>>What about an option for a rectangul ar (conventio nal metal) or semicircu lar (round 3D printer filament) seal recess on the apex?

Apex of what? Not sure I understand the question?

Dan:

I cant remember now, what was the last diagnostic message in our previous testing? Seems to me your system fails
on a specific thing.. OpenGL initiation I think...?

Art
dansfoundry
Old Timer

Post by dansfoundry »

Art, OpenGL initiation was the issue. I would reinstall windows but not sure I know what I am doing and the computer is been running along time and MTBF is looming and I don't want to push my luck. I am saving my penny s for a new one soon and that will be the time I get serious about gears. Thanks Dan
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Dan:

Yes, I remember now. I think till you change the video card or upgrade your probably out of luck.
Or at least I cant think of anything that coudl help ..other than maybe a OS reinstall, and that
seems drastic.. :-)

Art
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

ArtF wrote: Kirk:

>>What about an option for a rectangul ar (conventio nal metal) or semicircu lar (round 3D printer filament) seal recess on the apex?

Apex of what? Not sure I understand the question?
Rotor tip?  Where the spinny part rubs against the blower housing.  Not really sure what the correct terminology is, Google hasn't helped much.

Or would tip (?)  seals not survive against the concave area on the opposing lobe?

Kirk
Last edited by Mooselake on Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Kirk:

Ahh, I see..Sorry I was thinking of the casing. ( You right click the blower in the tree to build a casing..)

In most cases a seal isnt necessary, in fact its very typical to have a relief instead to stop lockup, many makers
professionally make a small tube in the case from the center of the case ( left and right) to the low pressure side
to allow flow to "slip" by when the pressure peaks in the rotation. Generally though the slippage is considered
to be a small percentage of the total volume being moved. It IS possible of course to make a seal on the rotors
apex to  make it tighter , but I left that up to the user as it seems making a small slit ( or alteratively a small
tube to allow more slippage) is defined more by the roots usage than by its intrinsic design.
  Take note that a roots blower does not in any way drive its mate, in fact it always rubs its mate ( the wrong way.. :) )
so adding a seal also increases the power necessary to turn it and would wear on that spot. To me the best roots
blower implementation ( mathematically) has enough clearance so that when expanded by maximum heat it has
zero clearance to its mate. But since thats hard to figure there really should be just an allowance for looseness
with the understanding that speed vs slip will result in a bit of loss that can be computed in its operational spec.

( But I could easily be wrong, Ive never used one I just studied them a bit to implement them, so as always
we "book experts" can be found wrong anytime by experienced field users. :-) )

Art

Ya-Nvr-No
Old Timer

Post by Ya-Nvr-No »

Eaton's design; screws the compressed pulse out a rear opening.
Used two 53 tooth ground straight spur gears that were held and rotated to set the backlash then pressed onto the held timed set of tri lobed Aluminum hobbed  machined shaped rotors. Was involved in the division startup (25 years ago) which also included the development & implementation testing of the assembled units using vibration analysis.
Every unit went through the same pass/fail test cycle checking Boost, Temp, third and fifty third vibration signatures as the most critical information.  As the temp increased, boost increases due to lobe clearance reducing. So gear & lobe timing and sizes are critical. Coatings on the rotors were developed to help with rotor galling as when these thing meet at high heat and high speeds they create quite an abrupt halt.  :'(
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

LOL..there you go, I knew someone around here would have some expertise. (One reason I never even try to pretend to know..:) )

In the end, I suspect each person will detail a roots to their own usage , if you really want to use such a thing in a turbo system,
then youd have to be real picky about such things as balance and expansion, if you just want to circulate water to your laser, then
their probably good as is. As in all things in GT, Ill allow the user to refine them to usage spec. :)

Thx for that info, interesting..
Art