Moving from Win 7 to Win 10 - Vexx issue

This is for reporting any trouble you may have
Jim Mac
Old Timer

Moving from Win 7 to Win 10 - Vexx issue

Post by Jim Mac »

Art,

I decided to bite the bullet and move to Win 10 after Microsoft announced no further security updates after January 2020.

I started with a clean install of win 10 and started to migrate my licenced applications to the new platform. I downloaded the latest Gearotic version from your website after switching off a number of security features in win 10 which kept telling me the site was unsafe.

I eventually managed an install of version 3.17 and copied my licence file into the program's directory. All went well and Gearotic launched OK and recognised my licence info.

I then tried to launch Vexx and got the error message that MSVCP120.DLL was missing. I navigated to the Gearotic file directory and manually installed the program VC_redist.x86. The MS redistributable program installed without error but Vexx still wouldn't run. I tried rebooting the PC but that did not correct the error.

Prior to installing Gearotic I had installed a licenced version of  the Gear Template Generator program from http://woodgears.ca

Any suggestions to get Vexx working would be appreciated.

Jim
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Moving from Win 7 to Win 10 - Vexx issue

Post by ArtF »

Hi Jim:

Use Google to find the Visual Studio VS2015 runtime..let me know if installing that fixes it..

Thx
Art
Jim Mac
Old Timer

Post by Jim Mac »

Art,

I downloaded both the x64 and x86 versions and installing them did not solve the problem.

I tried the x64 version on its own and that did not work and I tried the x86 version on its own and that didn't work either.

Both versions installed and uninstalled without generating any error messages. I have left the x86 version installed.

What do you suggest?

Jim
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Jim:

Im about to release a new Vexx in a few days with a cycloidic gear module Ive added.
As the code has changed it may make a difference. Im not sure whats shutting Vexx down on
you but I do have 2 other reports of both gearotic and vexx not working in Win10.

If you email me directly at support@gearotic .com I can send you an advance copy to see
what its doing. I can also generate debug versions so perhaps we can see where its failing.

Thx
Art
John T
Old Timer

Post by John T »

Hi Art,
I was having the same problem.  I tried installing your recommended .dll files but that wouldn't work for me either.  I eventually took my computer to a shop and they were able to make it work but unfortunately I couldn't follow exactly what they did.
In my CNC shop I have another computer that won't open Vexx but its not critical for me since I normally take code from another computer.

Hope you can get this sorted.
John
1% inspiration 99% try, try again
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

I wonder if it's an issue with MSVCP120. DLL either not being in the current executable path.  Presumably the official installer gets the file permissions right.

Is the DLL in the same directory as gearotic?  I'd look at both here (mine works with W10) but the CNC laptop isn't available atm and this is a chromebook so no help.

Kirk
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Kirk:

The file is a runtime file from microsoft, Gearotic doesnt install it directly, that final
advice to install runtime does. At that time I think microsoft copies them to the windows folder,
and is supposed to tell the system where they are.

Im investigating why this occurs.. everything of course works fine on my Win10..

Art