Toolbox (not saving?)

This is for reporting any trouble you may have
BMeyers
Old Timer

Toolbox (not saving?)

Post by BMeyers »

I add a new tool to the tool crib, press apply (and ok) and see a representation of the new mill.  New tool appears in the list as/where I expect.  I can even use that new tool during that same session.  However, when I exit the program, and restart my new tool is nowhere I can find.  any suggestions?

btw.  still don't see headley (sp?), or even the rings; but I get the workplace to flip around using the mouse.  still having fun.

Brian.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Toolbox (not saving?)

Post by ArtF »

Brian:

Sorry about that, I did have another notice that. Its due to soem changes in the tools.dat file
format. Yours is probably corrupted. I'll update in a day or so with a new version that you
can overwrite the tools.dat file with.

In the meantime, here's one that you can overwrite yours with, and I think it will start to work after that.

Unzip the attached file to your gearotic folder..

Art
Attachments
Tools.zip
(589 Bytes) Downloaded 227 times
BMeyers
Old Timer

Toolbox (not saving?)

Post by BMeyers »

Art:

Thanks for the file.  I overwrote the existing tool.dat file.  Noted the time stamp.  Opened Gearotic (v2.257), added a tool, Apply - received and responded yes to "add this tool..", observed the tool listed in the imperial endmill section where i had categorized it; even pressed "ok".  Saw it listed in the workspace page next to the red and green - and + button; scrolled thru the tool box and saw the new tool come up in order.  Exited G2.  started it again, no tool.  the time stamp was the same as before first opening G2, but with the time stamp from when i overwrote the prior version of tool.dat with the file you attached to your response.

Just reporting.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Thx:

Ill dig deeper to find why it may not save for you.. ( that file didnt come up as read-only did it?)

Art
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Guys:

I cant figure out why some toolboxes arent saving.. so Ive uploaded a new versin that puts out a message as to whats
failing. So redownload and try again, you should get a screen message when you hit apply AND a message in the log ( your log is on a
tab on the property dialog that allows respoking and such..

Please let me know what the message says , it should give a location of where the file tried to open..

Thx
Art
BMeyers
Old Timer

Toolbox (not saving?)

Post by BMeyers »

Will do.  but please clarify, download "new version" - meaning, download the development G2, or download the zip file with tool.dat?  If you are referring to tool.dat, from where?

thanks.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Soory, I wasnt clear.

the Dev version has been updated, so it will give an error saying why it couldnt save the tools, and where it tryed to put them.

Art
BMeyers
Old Timer

Toolbox (not saving?)

Post by BMeyers »

thanks for the instruction.  downloaded and installed. I can confirm ver 2.25800.

Went thru adding a tool to the crib.  received the usual messages.  saw it in the crib listing displayed within G2 as before.  was able to click thru and see it displayed using the -/+ buttons.  exited G2, re-loaded G2.  Didn't receive any (visible) messages.  Do you need me to copy and send some status or similar files?

Not a rush - and certainly not to bother on anyone's holiday.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi:

Try this for me.. On the properties tab there is a tab labeled LOG.. it gets messges about various things.. but when you hit apply
the log will get a message if any error occurs in the save. So goto the 3 ro 4 axis screen. Bring up the toolbox, type in a new toolname, hit apply,
then exit the toolbox, press home so you can see the properties tab, click on the log tab and see if thre is any line that says "Tool save failed on %s".
  Dos it show a path? Does it actually show up with anything?

Thx
Art
BMeyers
Old Timer

Toolbox (not saving?)

Post by BMeyers »

Art,

Per your instruction, please see attached.

Brian.

Attachments
G2 Log Capture.PNG
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Brian:

Thx. Its very strange. It seems your OS is refusing to save the file, where mine does it with no error.
Is this Win7 as YaNvrNo's is? Im thinking its a security issue. Can you run the program with a right-click
run-as-admin and see if the same thing occurs?

Ill see abut closing the file better to see if thats the issue..

Thx
ARt
BMeyers
Old Timer

Toolbox (not saving?)

Post by BMeyers »

Following your suggestion, I opened the program as an administer (right click over the exe file).  Went thru the same thing, the log didn't have the final two entries with the file name (presume that means no error).  Exited the program, restarted the program (again as administrator).  The new tool was still there! :)  Yet another thing to be thankful for!

Could some of the other quirks I've experienced (e.g., no headley, and some other things that differ from your videos and that I also don't expect represent changes between the current version and the version used when the videos were "filmed")?

Perhaps I installed G2 incorrectly -- i placed it under program files (x86), but don't have a program group when looking thru "All Programs" on the windows button.  And/Or as you mention are a "security issue".  Suggestions on how to correct that?  Or run as administrator?

Thanks.

Brian.
BMeyers
Old Timer

Toolbox (not saving?)

Post by BMeyers »

Art:

Went back to G2 run as administrator.  Found Headley (sp?)!  I can and will run G2 as administrator.  Any thoughts immediately at hand on how I should (re-)install G2 or set it up on my taskbar to achieve the same result?

Thanks.
Ya-Nvr-No
Old Timer

Post by Ya-Nvr-No »

Installing as admin and running as admin in win7 32 bit was the answer for me.

right click on the desktop shortcut of gearotic, go to properties then choose the Compatibility tab, at bottom is a checkbox for "Run this program as an administrator". Check it and OK, now works perfect for me.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Brian:

Yes, strange things can happen if the default of C:\Gearotic isnt the install folder. Win7 doesnt like programs using the old program files folder for data files.. but its the easiest place to keep them so the program is all in one place.

Id copy your entire folder to C: and then delete the registry keys for Gearotic. Rerunning it will then reinstall the keys as per C:\Gearotic Motion instead of that program files location...

Art