Program Frozen after entering "0" value for pinion tooth count.

This is for reporting any trouble you may have
Rickam
Old Timer

Program Frozen after entering "0" value for pinion tooth count.

Post by Rickam »

Today is my first day with Gearotic and it is amazing. I'm also really enjoying the YouTube videos (Narrator is excellent!) 

I found that I was able to freeze the program by entering "0" value for pinion tooth count.  (I think entering the number "1" also had the same effect).   

I am trying to make a double spur gear with a spacer built into the top and bottom of the stack.  So I decided to try and make a gear with zero teeth to place on the bottom and top of the stack to serve this purpose as a spacer. 

I'm watching "ClockTutorial2.mp4" now so I'm guessing that I need to export to a cad program to add spacers, but I'm still learning so I'm not too sure.   

I'm a newby so I did not realize that saving a file will save only the "project" area and not the gear I had set up in the "tools" pane.  Or was this because I was unregistered when I saved my gears this morning - not too sure.  (I never made it as far as moving the gear to the 3D workspace).   

I am using version 2.229 on Windows 7.  -I will re-boot and re-install and try it again.- all best!
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Program Frozen after entering "0" value for pinion tooth count.

Post by ArtF »

Hi Rick:

Thx for the notification, Ill add a fix for 0's and 1's..

As for the stack, If Im understanding you , you wish to have multiple gears on a shaft with
spaces between? ( Youd just drop a gear on the screen, then drop another on the shaft of the first., the system will then allow you to drop it on any position on that shaft.. )

If Im misunderstanding..just yell... we'll figure it out.. :)

Art
Rickam
Old Timer

Post by Rickam »

I'm trying to make a compound spur gear and I think I've managed to set it up by dropping the centre of one gear onto the other in the project view.  I have also managed to put a hub (or what I was calling a "spacer" in my previous post) by using the "Functional" button within the tool tab.  I've got a lot of learning to do! including all the terminology. 

- all best and thanks for the very cool software.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Rickam:

To properly place a hub, just click on a gear your created to select it, and on the properties tab under
the screen, youll see two boxes.. one labeled Collar Radius %, and the other labeled Collar Width.
Enter 60 in the collar radius % and hit the respoke button, a hub will be attached ot the gear you have.

Hope it helps,
Art
John T
Old Timer

Post by John T »

I make many sizes of spacers by making the gear and then using the "strip the teeth" function that available on the project screen.

John
1% inspiration 99% try, try again
Rickam
Old Timer

Post by Rickam »

Hi John, thanks for that. (the strip teeth function)  I did discover that this morning and just used trial and error with the tooth size to get the diameter where I want it.  This is great software and I'm really stoked about using it!

I had the model just right in the Project 3d rendering but could not figure out of to fuse them together.&nbsp; I eventually managed to get all my component gears listed on the "Objects to export" list on the STL output module and that seemed to have done the trick!&nbsp; It took me a while to figure out that i had to select and highlight all my wanted items in the project tree by holding <shift> key but i got there in the end.

While using trial and error I did manage to generate an error trying to get what i needed for STL export, but I don't think I know how to repeat it. This came up once: Error Found Gearotic 1202, attempt recover:Y--> error 1167 then appeared several times then crash.&nbsp; I had saved my work so I was able to get up and running again quickly.

all best! and thanks again! - Rick.
I'm sure glad that worked as I was struggling with the exported DXF file in autocad.&nbsp; There is so much detail on the gear profile that it stalls (but not crashes) Autocad when I try to use the "Presspull" tool.