Colibri

Links to Youtube videos
chrome700
Old Timer

Colibri

Post by chrome700 »

Not my work, but whenever I get around to having a garage and a CNC Machine I want to make one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1scj5sotD-E

He gives a shout out to Gearotic Motion on his Tools page.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Colibri

Post by ArtF »

Fantastic.....

BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BobL »

Very nice piece of art you got there Chrome700.. Just spectacular..

Cheers
Bob
Gearotic Motion
Bob
chrome700
Old Timer

Post by chrome700 »

BobL wrote: Very nice piece of art you got there Chrome700.. Just spectacular..

Cheers
Bob
Just to clarify, not mine, but I'd like to make one some day, maybe use the skills involved as the jumping off point to something similar.

He offers plans on his site.
Ken_Shea
Old Timer

Post by Ken_Shea »

Thats just absolutly brilliant.

7 losers didn't like it, how in the world  ???
Steve Fox
Old Timer

Post by Steve Fox »

I tried to have a conversation with him and my opinion is that he doesn't have a very good attitude.  I've run into so many artists like that that I have come to expect it.  Maybe others have tried to talk to him, too.

On another note, If you look at the video closely, there are three gear sets in there that have a daisy shape and end up with a 2:1 ratio to drive a cam.  The bottom one runs from 00:29 to 00:38 on the video.  Is there any way to do that in Gearotic?

I'm drawing up my own version of this.  I've gotten most parts to work in Inventor, but they do some funny stuff in there that doesn't have anything to do with reality.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Steve:

>> sets in there that have a daisy shape and end up with a 2:1 ratio t

Yes, they are planetary epicycloids, the Cage gears in planetary mode, same thing.

Art
chrome700
Old Timer

Post by chrome700 »

Steve Fox wrote:I'm drawing up my own version of this.  I've gotten most parts to work in Inventor, but they do some funny stuff in there that doesn't have anything to do with reality.
Does Inventor do a good job with cams and followers? Ive not spent a lot of time with it, but Fusion360 doesn't seem to do them well.
Steve Fox
Old Timer

Post by Steve Fox »

I don't think it does a good job with cams and followers or gears.
It may be me, but all I can get it to do is follow one surface for a cam.
If a cam is made from more than one surface, it gets lost.  All my cams are more than one surface.  There is a cam generation program that appears to work using pregenerated cams, except I can't figure out how to generate the kind of cam I want or even if it is possible.

As for gears, it doesn't see teeth.  You can only tell it which objects are "meshed" and the ratio between them.  If you aren't very careful, the teeth overlap with no solution.

I do have to say that as far as shafts,bearings, screws, etc., it does a reasonable job.
I have been able to work out the wing mechanism on the hummingbird.  I think it is accurate enough to build it.  At least, it seems to be, based on the trouble I had getting everything to work together.
Steve Fox
Old Timer

Post by Steve Fox »

ArtF wrote: Steve:

Yes, they are planetary epicycloids, the Cage gears in planetary mode, same thing.

Art
Thanks Art.

KevinO
Old Timer

Post by KevinO »

Hi folks,
Just joined the forum and while browsing I came across this thread regarding the Colibri Hummingbird sculpture.
I built one several months ago (picture attached) and it's a real show-stopper when people come to visit. I added an electric motor drive and it really works well.
With over 400 parts, it takes some time to build but I found the plans to be excellent. The .dxf files for all wood parts are also provided with the plans.
I found the designer, Derek Hugger, to be extremely helpful during my build and very promptly answered any questions that came up.
I'd like to try my hand at designing a kinetic sculpture and I'm sure Gearotic 3.0 will make the project easier to design and visualize.
Kevin
Attachments
IMG_1331.JPG