Information about latest Revision level of the software
and current Download Links.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

New Release Version 4.90.02

Post by ArtF »

Hi Guys:

New version .02 is released. It contains more pointers, more spokes, better graphics in the toolpaths.
The 4th axis is not yet released, though it does show the virtual 4th axis table we'll be using to display exactly how
the toolpaths will look. 4th axis toolpatsh will be the next module to be released, followed by escapements.

You may import GM projects now into GT..BUT, this will be a feature that will disappear when GT is complete.
The reason for this is that I dont want to waste development time redoing import routines to deal with the
  old data when it will end up being useless when GM is replaced. BUT, I do see facility in allowing you to
  import gm data with the understanding that its hit or miss, numbers will get weird, things may or may not mesh
  as GM doesnt have much of the new data in its outputs. SO as long as the user understands this ( having read
  this notice :) ), you may import a GM project by hitting the following keys in order ""Escape"gmi" , thats
  the escape key followed by the letter g , then the letter m then finally the letter i.
  Think of it as the "GMI"mport command.

Im allowing the imports because I am aware of a couple of dxf output errors in GM ( GT puts out much much
  better dxf's than GM including full headers. ), and I think the ability to at least use GT for outputs is a
  usefull workaround when you have any trouble. SO since printing , STL and DXF output works in GT as well as 2.5D
  machining output, this may help a great deal in giving you almost full access to outputs you need from new code
  on old data.

Some have reported some locking up errors, I think this should fix most of the ones Ive heard of. Also,
  most requests logged are fulfilled in this one, belt lengths stay on screen, the shape of the toolbit and
  the profile of a slit saw to cut gears is now output on the design screen as well in the final DXF of
  any gear. This includes even the Epicycloical teeth as well as timing pulleys. So if you wanted the profiles to
  cut custome teeth you shoudl be fine to go.

During install you will be asked only for the type of CPU if youd liek the redistributables installed,
  you need install these only 1 time ever, so uncheck it if your upgrading. Ill fix that up eventually so
  it doesnt ask at all, but it now knows if your 64 or 32 bit.

I guess thats it for now, I will release a video on CNC toolpathing when 4th axis is done. Till then,..

Have fun

Art
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New Release Version 4.90.02

Post by ArtF »

Small Note:

I discovered a bug in the tool shape output in the dxf module. if the gear being dxf'ed is not
in center of screen it throws the tool display off, the dxf is fine this is display only bug, fixed already
for next release.

Thx
Art
John T
Old Timer

Post by John T »

Hi Art,
The previous version opened for me but not this one or at least as soon as I try to put something on the project screen I get these errors.

These dialogues appear in order as I try and go deeper into the problem.
Attachments
thirddialoge.jpg
seconddialogue.jpg
first_dialogue.jpg
1% inspiration 99% try, try again
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

John:

Hmm, must be some divide by zero somewhere. Unfortunately the program saves almost every setting you make and if one is causing the
trouble it may be a bit hard for me to find..

Can you run Regedit? If so , delete the entire registry entry labeled
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Gearotic Thoughts. That will reset all the remembered
itesm taking you back to default. If you can do this can you tell me if it now runs?

Thx
Art
(Sorry for all the bugs, its actually normal with such drastic changes, I expect stability to be restored fairly quickly
as I track these down..)
John T
Old Timer

Post by John T »

Hi Art,
Pretty sure I can do that but right now I'm away from home so I'll try in a day or two.

John
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Thx John:

In the meantime Ill add more error codes in the 800 block so we can figure out what
exactly is causing the error.

Art
John T
Old Timer

Post by John T »

Hi Art,
I finally got in a position where I could follow your instructions.  Everything now works the way it should.  Having fun.

John
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

John:

Glad to hear. Ive aded many safeties for next version and many new error codes to help me track down such things.
Within a few version we should hit pretty high stability.

Thx
Art
John T
Old Timer

Post by John T »

Hi Art,
I think its really good already.  I run my windows on a partition of my Mac, which isn't probably very common

John
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

John:

Good to hear though. One of the greatest difficulties a programmer faces is stability after a complete rewrite, so its nice to see it coming into focus.. :)

Art
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Guys:

Just a quick note. I know Im slow on the next version, this is because I decided to
get a working 4th axis Gcode output done. Its well underway and Im hoping it wont
be too long , its anohter complete rewrite though which should allow all gears, from timng
pulleys to sprockets to helicals to be machined on the 4th axis, this should include
epicycloids as well.  Only Bevels will remain for future work in 4th axis. I am coding this so you can
see visual clues about the resultant job  as well. It will be released in the next version
but that will happen only when its complete. I'll aim for as soon as I can. :)
  Many fixes for posted bugs have been added into next version as well.

( Just a quick update )

Art

tmday7
Old Timer

Post by tmday7 »

Curious, can you use a straight flute endmill with 4th axis and create a gear tooth? Never looked at how the 4th axis works in GM or GT.

Thanks again,
Troy
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi:

In GM you can use  a straight flute or a flycutter.. In GT, youll be able to use either as well
as a slit saw.

Art
Richard Cullin
Old Timer

Post by Richard Cullin »

in gt if I create a set of herringbone gears and place  them in  the project screen , why do they revert to spur gears if I change the shaft (diameter or shape ) or the spoking ?
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Richard:

Thx for that bug, it has now been fixed for next release which will likely be this week.

Art